12 TIPS TO SURVIVE XMAS
Staying indoors, eating and drinking too much of – well, almost everything, healthy or not, ‘locked’ together with difficult family members for longer than usual.. while trying to please everyone. Sometimes the festive season can be very trying. My seasonal survival plan may just help. (IF you need more – see the freebies at the end.)
- FAMILY & FISH – Both go bad after a few days! So try to arrange to be together for no longer than a couple of days. At the very least, arrange a break from each other doing your own thing – go for a drive, a long walk, do some simple DIY or other project, go to the cinema or to the pub if you have to!
- GET OUTSIDE – It’s all too easy to loll around, feeling full, stodgy and half-awake watching banal telly; don’t! Get out in the fresh air, go for a walk, or something even more strenuous if you are inclined.
- IT’S YOUR MIND – Your feelings and emotions are fed by your thoughts, so when things get a bit too much, choose to focus your mind on the more pleasant aspects or the bigger picture (like how important your family is to you). Try the HELICOPTER method (see the box).
- KIDS ARE BONKERS – they are meant to say just what comes into their heads; only adults monitor and suppress themselves. Some adults are still childlike, some oldies regress, and others are, well, a bit wonky. Try not to take any unpleasant remarks to heart. If all fails, try my boxed fixes.
- THEY’LL NEVER BE FIXED – those annoying feature people have are not going to change just for you; it’s hard enough for a trained therapist with willing clients, so don’t waste your time barking orders to the waves not to come in. Try the ‘helicopter out’ trick shown in the box.
- OLD RECORDS – parents and siblings will tend to pull you back into your childhood self, both good and bad. Choose not to hear their attempts to play the same old past records with your feelings and emotions; you have learned better tunes to dance to.
- ATIVIRUS SOFTWARE – set up mental protection, just like how a computer is protected from unhealthy or malicious invasions: see the PROTECTIVE FIELD.
- DRINK & EAT LESS! Obviously. Avoid overdoing the chocs, coffee.
- GIVE IN – Don’t try to be perfect, or do it all yourself; make a simple checklist or plan, and ask for help rather than hinting or complaining.
- MENTAL DETOX – as well as getting up and out with physical exercise, do a mental refreshment exercise like the one shown, which is my favourite from ‘Energetic NLP’. See the box.
- LET IT OUT – if it all gets too much, then accept it; go outside out of earshot and simply let it rip with a big raspberry or even a scream. Come back when you are calm again.
- REMEMBER it’s only XMAS – not your whole life! Keep a perspective. It’s just a difficult MOMENT In TIME, like bad weather, the worst will always pass.
PS IF YOU WANT MORE – TRY ONE OF MY FREE HYPNOSIS AUDIO DOWNLOADS! http://abetterlife-uk.com/free-hypnosis-audios